Saturday, April 25, 2015

How To Create a Graphing Lesson That Engages All Students!



This past week, our curriculum had us revisiting graphs!  I don't know why, but I LOVE teaching my Kinder friends about graphs!  Probably because I struggled with math as a student, but if you put a table, chart, or graph in front of me...I could analyze that data all day! :)

My students get excited about graphs because I do.  Don't get me wrong- I love the cute clip art and chart paper graphs, but we had already done a week of this type of graph!  I needed something new and exciting...for them AND me!  Room 304 was about to explode with excitement on the day that I decided to take graphs a step further and integrate some technology into our lesson! 

I use the FREE app Doodle Buddy a lot because it saves me so many copies...and it's fun!  I have taught my Kinder friends how to use it for reader's response pages in reader's workshop, so it was really easy to implement into this lesson!  So here's how you do it...

  1. Start with a blank graph template like this one I made for you!  
  2. Take a picture of the graph using the background tool in Doodle Buddy so that the graph template is now the background image in the app.
  3. *optional step* I turn on my reflector app on my desktop and then on all of the ipads that students would be working with.  This allows me to watch what they're doing and make sure that all groups are staying on track! :)
  4. Students pass the iPad around and use their fingers or a stylus (after the lesson, I realized that a stylus would actually be better!) to color in the box to record their data (their age, type of shoe, etc.)
All 20 kiddos were completely engaged the entire time!  Even if it wasn't their turn to color in a box on the graph, they were helping classmates and watching the screen to see how other groups' data compared to theirs!  They couldn't wait to analyze everyone's data at the end.

Engaged students, learning target met, and saved trees... can't beat it!

What graphing apps do you and your students like?






No comments:

Post a Comment