Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Series of Books Every (PK-3) Math Teacher Should Own!

Just a warning... this doesn't have anything to do with technology!  **GASP**  I know, right?

Anyway...I was very fortunate to be given a classroom with a lot of resources already there for me!  Amongst these resources were a couple of Math Start books by Stuart Murphy.  Ohh.  My.  Goodness.  I love children's books!  ESPECIALLY ones that have a good message/lesson OR ones that help me put concepts into words that kids can understand!  DING, DING, DING!  That's what these do!  I struggled with math as a child and if these books would've been around, I am positive that some concepts would have "clicked" a little more for me!

Last week, something made me Google "Math Start Books" and I came across Stuart Murphy's website.  I know!  I've been a fan for years and haven't gone to the website!  I found out that there are a TON of titles that I don't have!  I made a list of all the titles that hit a concept that I teach and submitted a project to donorschoose.org (more on that later!).  A week later, I had 17 of these awesome books in my kiddos' hands!


If you teach Elementary Math, do yourself (and students) a favor and visit the site!  I will say that I don't completely agree with the "level" of all the books.  They have 3 levels and for instance, I read my Kinder friends "Lemonade For Sale" the other day during a graphing lesson and they completely understood the content of the book even though it was considered higher than their "level"!  I think it really just depends on your kids and the curriculum they're used to!  All that to say, don't miss out on a great book just because the "level" doesn't fall within your grade!

You can browse their "Free Activities" tab of the website to get some great ideas of how you can tie the books into your lessons!  Whether you are teaching CCSS, TEKS, etc. these books are great!

Do you have a favorite Math Series?  


No comments:

Post a Comment