Tuesday, February 21, 2017

What the Tech?! - Week 18

So my birthday is coming up and my family has asked "What do you want for your birthday?"  I don't know what I want.  I know there are things that I want, but sometimes they're random things or I can't think of anything when put on the spot.  Well my family decided to start using Amazon Wishlists as our means for sharing things that we would like and eliminating the awkward "What do you want?" conversations!  

I made a list for each person in my household (directions below) and when I remember the kids saying they want something or when I come across something that I like but don't NEED... I add it to my wishlist.  The majority of our extended family has Prime memberships, so we think this will work great for us!  

How to make a list:
But then there are some settings you will want to change.  Make sure your address is set to your home address incase people want to send the gift directly to you.  I believe buyers will also have the chance to send it to themselves, so they can hand deliver it to you.  You also want to change your privacy settings.
To set or change your privacy settings:
  1. Go to Your Lists.
  2. Click List settings.
  3. Select your preferred privacy setting under Privacy in the List settings window:Shared: Only people with a link (URL) of your list can see this list
  4. Click Submit in the List settings window to confirm.
You can also click Share at the top of your list to notify people via e-mail. The e-mail addresses you provide will only be used to send this message.  Or you can copy the link and write your own email to send to family/friends. 

I also clicked "Don't spoil my surprises!" which leaves items on your list after they're purchased  (but warns against duplicate purchases if someone else tries to buy an item).  Items will stay on your list for a few weeks, so no surprises are ruined. 

Of course, MANY other sites allow wishlists, but we do a lot of Amazon shopping, so this works best for us.  I've even seen teachers create wishlists for their classrooms!  Pretty awesome to think that you will get EXACTLY what you are wanting/needing and it takes all the guess work out of it for your family/friends/room parents!  




No comments:

Post a Comment